|View Your Cart|
"PRESERVING OUR PAST...ENHANCING OUR FUTURE"HISTORIC MARKERS in Lewisville, NC
HISTORIC MARKER DEDICATION
Sunday, October 16th, 2011
VOGLER / REYNOLDS HOUSE
814 Reynolds Road
BROOKSTOWN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
6274 Yadkinville Road
Dedication ceremonies will begin at the Vogler/Reynolds House and continue at Brookstown United Methodist Church.
SHILOH LUTHERAN CHURCH
703 Lewisville-Vienna Road
Founded in 1777 as the German Church Beyond Muddy Creek. Named Gerber's Church in 1813. Graveyard and old church site, quarter mile east. Called Shiloh since circa 1860. Present sanctuary built in 1883. Oldest congregation in Lewisville.
LEWIS C. LAUGENOUR HOUSE
6495 Shallowford Road
Built by Lewis Case Laugenour, early community benefactor, for whom Lewisville is named. Architecturally one of the best examples of the Greek Revival Style in Forsyth County.
CONCORD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
8955 Concord Church Road
Founded in 1782. Called Waggoner's Chapel by Bishop Asbury. Present sanctuary built in 1908. Oldest Methodist congregation in Forsyth County, according to Methodists in assembly.
LEWISVILLE ROLLER MILL
6253 Shallowford Road
Built by the J.P. Sprinkle family in 1910. Sold to Fielden Hale Jennings in 1925, who operated the mill for 58 years as the largest village employer. Now used as Lewisville Hardware. Oldest continuously occupied commercial building in Lewisville.
SITE OF LEWISVILLE ACADEMY
150 Lucy Lane
Lewisville Academy, the first public high school in Forsyth County, was established in 1901. Lewisville Academy became a part of the consolidated Forsyth County School System in 1907. This site has served as the location of three subsequent public schools.
NEW HOPE AME ZION CHURCH
7180 Shallowford Road
New Hope Church is the oldest continuing African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church within the Township of Lewisville. This church is among the oldest AME Zion congregations in Forsyth County.
GREAT PHILADELPHIA WAGON ROAD
& NISSEN WAGON MUSEUM
Bordering Shallowford Town Square
The Great Wagon Road passed 120 feet north of this marker. The Great Wagon Road from Philadelphia to Augusta was the premier 18th century backcountry road from Pennsylvania to Georgia. From about two miles north of Bethabara it was cut to Lewisville by the Moravians in February 1754. The "German Settlement on the Yadkin", later Lewisville, was founded on the Great Wagon Road in the 1760s. The Great Wagon Road entered Forsyth County at Germanton and continued to Lewisville north of Shiloh Lutheran Church. It passed through what is now Shallowford Square to the Yadkin River's Shallow Ford, 6 miles west, then through Yadkin, Davie and Iredell Counties, forded the Catawba River at Sherrill's Ford and proceeded southward. The roadbed is 1,100 feet west of this marker.
GEORGE MOCK HOUSE
5750 Shallowford Road
George Mock (1847-1925) built this house in the 1870s and brought his bride, Adeline Shouse, here. The structure of the house had not changed until their son, Marvin Mock (1881-1961), built rooms to the east.
METHODIST CHURCH PARSONAGE
6630 Shallowford Road
In 1884 the Forsyth Circuit of the Methodist Church bought this house, known as the Wesley Vogler house, for a parsonage. The Circuit consisted of twelve churches in western Forsyth County. By 1901 the Lewisville Charge had been created and took over the parsonage. Many changes were made to the house through the years. In 2000 the exterior was restored to its original appearance.
SITE OF SUNNY ACRES
ca. early 1930s
Corner of Shallowford & Williams Roads
Built by Miss Anna Ogburn of Winston-Salem, a Methodist philanthropist and benefactor. The large 200-foot long house was originally used as a country retreat for underprivileged children and as a Methodist Church conference center. Later Sunny Acres was used as a community center to house a doctor's office and other businesses. It was the site of the first location of the Lewisville Branch of the Forsyth County Public Library.
JONES GROCERY STORE
8950 Shallowford Road
Joseph Spurgeon Jones (1845-1928) built the original store that at the time was in the Little Yadkin Township, a part of Yadkin County. In 1914, his son, Will A. Jones (1871-1940), moved the store across the road east of its present location. After a disastrous robbery in 1926, Will built the present structure, which included a residence. Three generations of the Jones family ran the store for a century. Subsequent owners include James and Frances Vaughn Gough.
CHARLES L. SPAUGH HOUSE
6735 Shallowford Road
Charles L. Spaugh, a Christian and civic leader in Lewisville, built this large two-story house with lumber from his own sawmill, for his wife Dora Alspaugh Spaugh and their family. Jesse Joel Jones, Sr. and his wife Annie Shermer Jones purchased this home in 1931. The ownership of this house has remained in the Jones family for 75 years. One of the notable owners included Lois Elizabeth Jones Kiger.
LEWISVILLE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
6290 Shallowford Road
The church was established in 1878 by Methodists from Brookstown and Sharon. The chief founder, Augustus Eugene Conrad, made plans for the first church, a one room building, and it was dedicated in 1882. It was replaced with a three-story brick building in 1931 during a severe depression. That year was considered a high point in the congregation's dedication and faith in God. A second sanctuary was dedicated in 1989. A second fellowship hall was built in 2001.
LEWISVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH
Lewisville's First Organized Baptist Church
125 Lewisville-Clemmons Road
Lewisville Baptist Church was established in 1881. In 1882 on this highest knoll in the Lewisville village, a 40'x60' wooden building with double doors and a stately steeple was built. Following destruction by lightning in 1936, it was replaced with a brick structure. The third Church building was dedicated in 1974. Older Education Buildings were replaced in 1998.
©2004 - 2013 Lewisville Historical Society. All rights reserved.